I don't teach about horses, the horses do the teaching...if only we would listen to them.

I don't teach about horses, the horses do the teaching...if only we would listen to them.
Donna DeNoble

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Kirsten




Polo
All of his weird quirks just serve to confirm to me that he is amazing. He is patient as a grandmother one minute and wild as a toddler going through terrible two’s the next. He is as wise as a little owl, though he pretends not to be in order to get out of working. He is a horse now, choosing his four legged friends, and a dog a little later, wanting only to be next to me, so long as you pet him, feed him and tell him he is wonderful. He is confident one moment as he struts right up to a pretty mare, then afraid the next, as he cowers behind me to get away from that same pretty mare. And despite it all Polo has been important to me. Like a band-aid really. Through the last year of high school Polo as been as steady as a rock for me to lean on. No matter what kind of chaos was swirling around me like a tornado Polo would be patiently waiting for me. Polo counts on me to take care of him to love him. A task that was difficult for me. I lost so much trust in people over the years that I was blindsided by his trust in me. He understands my dreams and fears and insecurities like no one I know. One simple little brown horse came trotting into my train wrecked heart and managed to repair it. Now where holes once stood is a beautiful, trusting and clever little horse.

No comments: