I don't teach about horses, the horses do the teaching...if only we would listen to them.

I don't teach about horses, the horses do the teaching...if only we would listen to them.
Donna DeNoble

Friday, July 11, 2008

Horses and the Economy Continued

The shock value of the last few posts were, I admit, perhaps, over-the-top. The point I was trying to make was that the problem of too many horses and what to do with horses that are no longer useful is many-faceted. There are no easy solutions. I was wondering if it would be worth starting a group in the Central PA area to assist pleasure horse owners down on their luck. I saw a segment in the news today about a young girl who started a movement, freekibble, to feed dogs who are victims of natural disasters.

Why couldn't we start something like that for horse owners who have lost jobs or homes...You know, be part of the solution? That might protect good family horses from ending up in the auctions.

As far as the broken racehorses, lame horses, old horses and horses abandoned I am still horrified with enormity of the problem.

Feel free to comment below each blog post. I would like a discussion to develop.

Also, think about an equine "food bank" idea. Anyone have extra hay to donate, stockpile for winter months?

I guess one of the lessons herein is: do not have a horse if you can not afford to keep it up. Average horse maintenance costs run upwards of $3000 per year if done right with foot care every 7 weeks, proper nutrition, dental care once a year, blankets, worming, shots...Perhaps it is up to those of us who sell horses to new people coming into the industry to educate new families BEFORE selling the horse to them about how much each horse requires.

So, fellow horse lovers, ponder these postings and let me know how you feel.

No comments: